Students are showing bold leadership but adults need to do the heavy lifting
The Student Voice Network (SVN) is student funded free, virtual platform that supports young people to lead, participate in and amplify projects that take action on social justice and environmental issues. Over the last few months, SVN has run the Target 2035 Climate Conference to equip as many people as possible to understand the impending climate crisis and provide the tools for meaningful action! SVN teamed up with Brentwood Secondary College to run the ‘Target 2030’ online workshop to connect like minded students dedicated to making Australia a more sustainable home.
These are examples of bold leadership from youth but we shouldn’t and can’t leave bold acts of leadership to young people. They have done so much heavy lifting in the last 2.5 years. We need individuals, organisations and businesses across Australia to demand our Federal government release a clear plan for net zero emissions by 2035 ahead of Australia’s participation at COP26 in Glasgow this month. Some of the current campaigns to make our voices heard are:
- ACF – sign an open letter to get dirty donations for coal and gas out of politics and Together We Can movement
- Climate Council – support their push for urgent climate action
- Support the Climate Change Act and
- Get behind the Australian Parents for Climate Action Make the Climate Safe campaign.
Finally the biggest difference you can make today is to
- Know that your Vote counts – learning about the political parties’ policies on climate ahead of the Federal election will help you to make an informed and critical vote for our planet’s safe future. See Climate200 for information and action to elect political candidates who stand for cleaning up politics and following the science on climate change.
- Know that your Money counts – learning where your banking and superannuation is invested to ensure it is not funding the continued use of polluting and damaging fossil fuels. See Market Forces to see what your money is funding.
- Know your Energy choices count. Switch to purchasing Green Power to get off fossil fuels and help the transition to renewable energy. Learn about GreenPower and ask your energy retailer today to make the switch to 100% renewable energy. If you’re not happy with your retailer, consider a 100% renewable energy company such as Powershop.
Image Source: Climate Council