Organisation: Port Phillip EcoCentre
Program: Indigenous Perspectives, Sustainability Professional Development and Sustainability Outreach and Education Programs.
This program links aboriginal culture and sustainability in the context of Victorian Curriculum outcomes (for teachers).
Click on the links to see how this program connects to the following modules of ResourceSmart Schools:
Accessible to schools in the following Melbourne metropolitan regions: Eastern and Southern
Appropriate for students in:
Primary – Prep to Grade 2
Primary – Grade 3 to Grade 6
Secondary – Year 7 to Year 10
Secondary – Year 11 to Year 12
What is offered to schools:
These workshops can be booked on as-needed basis:
- Supporting Victorian Curriculum (sustainability and indigenous perspectives).
- Connecting teachers to resources so they can connect culture to curriculum.
- 60 – 90 minute professional development for staff.
- Connection to resources that support Victorian Curriculum and classroom learning.
Workshops are fee-for-service.
Port Phillip EcoCentre also provide free professional learning events each term for teachers to network, share resources and connect to the local environment. TEN are linked to curriculum, ResourceSmart Schools and address Standard of Professional Practice. Here are the dates for upcoming TEN PDs in 2017:
- 22 March 2017 – Biodiversity and Indigenous Perspectives
Where: Port Phillip EcoCentre (55a Blessington Street, St Kilda)
Time: 1 – 4pm
This workshop will explore the rich biodiversity we have in our urban environment and the environmental history of place. Our indigenous partnerships gives us the opportunity to have an elder share their knowledge of the land, the creatures that live in it and the stories and rituals that serve to protect and care for it. Educators will be able to take activity ideas back into their schools to enrich the learning and teaching already occurring with a focus on environment and sustainability. It’s a wonderful opportunity to expand knowledge, share ideas, learn from others and to be inspired. Click here to RSVP. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 24 May 2017 Waste and Biodiversity 4 – 5.30pm within the Bayside area
- 26 July 2017 Energy 4 – 5.30pm within the City of Port Phillip area. Facilitated by Sustainability Victoria
- 18 October 2017 Waste 4 – 5.30pm with the Bayside area
- 22 November 2017 Beach Citizen Science, waste and water 4 – 5.30pm location TBC