A group of Year 4 students surveyed the yr 3 – 6 student to find out their habits at the canteen and then decided to contact the tuck shop lady with suggestions on how to reduce plastic and paper litter from the canteen. The following is her response and how she can support the school with this problem. These measures have been introduced.
Dear Grade 4 environment team,
Thank you for your letter, it has made me have a think about the waste I generate in the canteen and ways to cut this down.
Some changes I will endeavour to make are as follows:
- I will use less paper bags
- Students are welcome to bring their own containers for lunches on Mon, Tues and Wed
- Each class room could have a bottle of tomato and soy sauces to cut down on portion control plastic containers
- Each child could bring their own cutlery or have a few sets in the classrooms for students to use
- I will only give straws to students that request them
- I do already use some environmentally safe cleaning products
- Teachers could bring their own mugs for soup
I hope these little changes will help our environment. I look forward to working with you all on implementing these changes. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you think of any ideas for the tuckshop .
The Tuckshop Lady (Veronika)