- We applied for and received grants from the State and Federal Governments for installing Solar Panels onto the roof. (Total $69,000 including sale of RECs). Once installed this will provide a computer program which can show children how much electricity we are making in any one day
- We made concerted efforts made to reduce electricity use by turning off lights and equipment in classrooms when not used. Eco-Warriors encouraged us to “Switch off”!
- Energy bills (Gas & Electricity) entered onto SETS (Schools Environment Tracking System) by Eco-Warriors with Principal’s help. Some students displayed this to their class to demonstrate the losses/gains we made in these areas. Use of SETS identified a major water loss that we at the school and when found made a big difference to our usage.
- Our Eco-warriors; turn off all electrical equipment off at end of the day and added reminder stickers on all switches to turn off lights
- In order to reduce our use of electricity, we installed air coolers rather than air coolers and block out sun blinds in all North facing windows .
- Numerous class activities involved children studying Energy in their Classes. Some these included:
· energy trailer incursion
· units of work on different types of energy: kinetic, solar, hydro, wind etc
· Excursions to the local power station
St. Brendan’s Primary School
November 7, 2019
Crazy Hair Day to Clean up Our Oceans This semester we have been looking at ‘Stewardship’ as a topic across the school. This topic has captured the student’s interest with […]
St. Peter's Parish Primary School, Bentleigh East
April 29, 2013
Being water wise is all part of the fun for the folk at St. Peter’s Primary in East Bentleigh. Back in 2009, the whole school community participated in an online […]
Morobe Street Children’s Centre
November 8, 2021
Caring for Baby possum – November 2021 We found a baby possum in the sandpit. It was cold and sacred. Educator wrapped the baby possum in a blanket and placed […]
St Augustine's College Kyabram
April 27, 2013
St Augustine’s College has entered into a partnership with Zoos Victoria in a world first conservation project. Over 100 schools across Victoria applied to join the fight to save the […]
Robina Scott Kindergarten
November 14, 2018
On Monday 30th July Deanne from CERES came into blue group to do an audit of our outdoor kindergarten environment. After a discussion about recycling, reusing and pollution, Deanne introduced […]