St Georges Rd Primary School is a 5 Star Sustainable School
• Water is a component in the curriculum.
• Children research water tips to be announced at assembly and published in the newsletter.
• Asphalt is swept, never hosed down
• Water efficient plants are being planted in the gardens
gardens are mulched
• Taps and sprinklers are monitored for leaks
Our involvement in these two programs led us to becoming involved in the Sustainable Schools program with CERES. This has involved:
• Children eat significantly more fruit, as there is no waste allowed. A compost system has been established to fertilise the gardens
• Children’s heightened awareness of recycling, reducing and minimising waste and the impact of this follows on to their families
• Reduced waste and litter using a three bin system, eating inside and compost.
• Water efficient plants have been planted and gardens are mulched.
• Taps and sprinklers are monitored for leaks.
• PD’s for staff through CERES.
• Ensuring that lights in their classrooms are turned off at recess and lunch.
• Heater pilot lights are turned off for the holidays.
• Extra shade cloth and draught sealing is being implemented.
• The clean away skip is emptied once a term compared with twice a week, greatly reducing costs to the school.
• Paper consumption has been reduced by over 1000 reams since the schools involvement with the Sustainable Schools Program.
• Water consumption has been greatly reduced.
• Energy use has been reduced by a massive 25%
• Over 177 tonnes of CO2 have been saved through Green Electricity purchases.