Suitable for Primary (Years 5-6)
Victorian Curriculum Links:
The Water Tank Calculator activity engages students in the calculation of roof runoff on a school building to determine a suitably sized water tank. The students develop skills in calculating area. Students are then invited to discuss the environmental benefits of harvesting water.
- Water Harvesting
- Water Scarcity
- Water Resources
Key Learning Intentions
- Students will be able to identify the average annual rainfall for their region
- Students will be able to calculate roof runoff
- Students will be able to suggest water harvesting solutions for their school
Suggestions for Assessment
- Participation in the Water Tank Calculator activity
- Completion of the Discussion questions below
Complete the Student Worksheet for the Water Tank Activity.
- List the positives of installing a water tank. What are the environmental benefits?
- How could this water be used within the school?
- Refer to the average annual rainfall map and locate Mildura and Melbourne. What are the differences in rainfall and how would this affect a school located in Mildura?
Suggested ResourceSmart Schools Module Links
Undertaking the activity as described above links to the ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – actions B1.2, B1.3
Below is a list of extension activities that link to additional actions of the Water module:
- Conduct a water tank calculation on a building at your own home. Present the findings to your parents and classmates (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – action C3.5)
- Conduct an audit to determine other possible water tank locations within your school (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – actions A1.1, A3.12, A4.6, A4.9, B1.3, B1.4, C2.1)
- Design a water system for your school using the proposed water tanks as a starting point (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – actions B1.1, B1.3)
- Investigate the EPA Guidelines for the use of rain water. A copy of EPA Victoria’s “Rainwater use in and around the home” can be downloaded here. List the uses that are considered acceptable and not acceptable (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – actions A4.7, C2.1)
- Create a learning story detailing the process of your water tank calculation. Present your findings to the school and wider community in newsletters or on the school website (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – actions C1.1, C1.3)
- Apply for water related grants or for donations from your local hardware store for the donation and installation of a new water tank (ResourceSmart Schools Water Module – action A2.3)
Speak to your CERES ResourceSmart Schools Facilitator about further links to the Water Module.